Posts Tagged ‘meddling’

Why the Helsinki Summit Ticked Me Off

Posted by Troy on 16th July 2018 in Uncategorized

Or more appropriately, why the coverage of it ticked me off.  What it proved, beyond a shadow of the doubt, is that Trump can’t win with these people.

Just days before meeting with Putin, Rod Rosenstein comes out with a list of indictments against Russians for “meddling in our election.”  Immediately, there are calls for Trump to cancel the meeting, or at the very least, not to meet one on one.  If he cancelled the trip, it would be “proof” that Trump had colluded with Putin.  If he did not meet one on one, it signals weakness to Putin and it also would surely lead to leaks unless that person was beyond reproach–however, anyone that trustworthy for Trump would have been utterly dismissed by the people who demand others be present.  Finally, if he met with Putin one on one, then people would say that Trump was committing treason behind closed doors.  Trump can’t win.

Putin says, “I wanted Trump to win,” and the Left goes nuts.  Ah!  Proof!  Of course, we are supposed to believe that Putin is being honest when he says he wanted Trump to win, but he is lying when he says that Russia didn’t interfere in the election.  Putin’s trustworthiness, as with everything, is determined in relation to if it helps or hurts Trump.  With the media on his side, there’s no way Putin can lose.  No matter what he does or says, the US media will do his dirty work by sowing division in our country.  Meanwhile, Trump can’t win.

People ask him, “Mr. Trump!  What are you going to do about the Crimea?”  Where were these helpful souls in 2014?  You know which President should have done something?  Obama.  You know what multinational organization should have done something?  NATO.  Do you know what either of those did?  NOTHING.  Maybe if they started mobilizing troops and planes to the Ukraine and Crimea in 2014, Putin would have abandoned his plans, but now he occupies the Crimea.  The Crimea is gone.  The only thing that will get it back at this point is a hot war.  The moment came, and Obama chickened out.  NATO/Europe, in their typical fashion, appeased instead of fought.  It is Germany invading Czechoslovakia all over again.  So, if Trump demands it back, Putin’s going to say “No.”  Then what?  I suppose there are two options, Trump goes home looking weak as hell, or he mobilizes the military, gets us into a hot war, and basically starts WWIII (or at the very least allows his critics to call him a warmonger).  Trump can’t win.

Gowdy says in his shrill, annoying voice (I used to be 90/10 with this guy and now I’m down to 60/40 with the stupid crap that comes outta his mouth…) “The first thing Trump needs to do when he gets over there is demand Russia hand over these 12 nationals.”  Okay, to what end?  Putin will say, “No.”  Then what?  Trump looks weak.  This is the same thing that happened when Jeb demanded Trump apologize to his wife.  You never demand something if there is any doubt about getting it.  There’s actually no doubt about this… PUTIN WILL NOT TURN OVER THESE PEOPLE.  So Trump looks weak and gets nothing in return other than elevating Putin and giving his critics more ammo to ridicule him with.  Trump can’t win.

Then everyone says that he should have confronted Putin about the meddling.  Well, that’s great.  The more Trump shouts about Russian meddling, the more he damages his own presidency by basically saying “I was not duly elected!”  To which he was, but perception is everything.  It’s also silly when every country is meddling in pretty much every election.  Obama tried like hell to get Netanyahu defeated in Israel, and that’s our ally!  I mean, I expect enemies to sabotage and backstab, but when friends do it, that’s despicable.  It’s also laughable since Hillary injected herself into the Russian election trying to get Putin defeated.  Or as Chris McDaniel put it, “The democrat stance is that 12 Russians swung the election but that 12 million illegals have no effect whatsoever.”  But again!  To what end?  “You meddled in our election.”  “No, we didn’t.”  I mean, does that just devolve into a “liar liar pants on fire/I know you are but what am I” playground-style fight?  Does Putin get to play the high-road and declare that he had Trump over in good faith and Trump insulted him to his face?   Do we go to war over this or something?  Trump can’t win.

And that’s what ticks me off about the entire thing.  Nothing he could have done would have sufficed.  Everything was a trap one way or another.  Based on this, his Helsinki trip was basically perfect just because it wasn’t an unmitigated disaster.  More and more, the media has become the boy that cried “Hitler!”  75% of the country has stopped listening to them entirely.  The other 25% take their daily dose day after day and get more wound-up and rabid.  This cannot end well.

Long Live the Constitution!